Kern County Nüümü Yadoha Program
The Kern County Nüümü Yadoha Program offers a variety of opportunities to learn from pre-school to family based settings. We encourage learning through cultural experiences such as basket weaving, music, dancing, California history, traditional stories, and songs. Preserving and Revitalizing Our Native Languages through self-identities for our TANF clients and communities with Culture component and Culture Identity.
Applicants that would like to take part of the Language programs benefits can do so by filling out a prevention application and showing up to the class.
The language program offers services both onsite at TANF offices and offsite in local communities. Services are offered in the following areas:
Kitanemuk Language Class
- 1st and 3rd Tuesday of the month 5:00pm- 8:00pm, starting September 1st
- 1731 Hasti Acres Dr., Bakersfield
- Every other Tuesday 9:00am-11:00am Starting September 1st
- 1001 Tower Way, Ste. 225 Bakersfield
Basic Pahkaanil language, traditional stories, and songs are incorporated into the Family lit. ECE and Infant and Toddler program activities. -with Instructors Betsy Johnson, Sherry Click, & Virgie Russell Pahkaanil Language Class
- 1st, 2nd, & 3rd Tuesday 5:00pm-7:00pm 1001 Tower Way, Ste. 225 Bakersfield
This class focuses on beginning Pahkaanil language. Learn about California Indian history, Kern County history, and Cultural and Traditional ways of the Tubatulabal Tribe. – with Teacher Robert Gomez Jr.
Pakanapul Language and Cultural Class
- Wednesday’s 4:00pm-7:00pm 10021 California Hwy 178, Weldon
- Thursday’s 5:00-7:00pm 12600 Mt. Mesa Rd, Mt. Mesa
This class focuses on beginning Pahkaanil language. Traditional stories, history, and games are incorporated into this class. -With Instructors Betsy Johnson, Tina Guerrero, & Christina Carvajal Tubatulabal Youth Language Class
- Tuesday 3:00pm- 5:00pm 12600 Mt. Mesa Rd, Mt. Mesa
Pakanapul Language Class
- Every other Tuesday’s 2:30pm-4:30pm 722 N. Norma St. #C, Ridgecrest
This class focuses on Advanced, Intermediate, and Youth NUWA language. Cultural knowledge, crafts and activities are incorporated into this class.
- Mon 11:00am-2:00pm Advanced Class
- Monday 4:00pm-6:00pm Youth Class
- Tuesday 4:00pm-7:00pm Intermediated Class
- Friday 5:00pm-8:00pm Friday Night Study
-With Instructors Jon Hammond & Janice Williams