Frequently Asked Questions

Language Banner
Q. How do I find out if I am eligible?
A. You must submit a complete application with applicable verifications and meet all basic eligibility criteria including but not limited to the following: have a minor living in your home for which you are providing care, at least one member of your household must be a member or a descendent of a federally recognized Native American tribe or be a descendent of a family member listed on the California Indian Judgment Rolls, and have countable income equal to or less than 200% of the federal poverty guidelines.
Q. If I have received assistance beyond the 60 month time limit, may I still receive assistance for my children?

A. Once an adult is ineligible to receive federally funded TANF assistance due to reaching the 60 month limit, the children in the home may still be eligible to receive assistance. Supportive Services and performance incentives however may be restricted due to the ineligibility of the adult.

Q. What Supportive services am I eligible for?

A. OVCDC Tribal TANF provides a number of Supportive Services to eligible families to help them overcome barriers to meeting the required work participation activities. Supportive Service requests are reviewed on a case-by-case basis depending on the identified need for the service and whether it will assist the family in achieving self-sufficiency. These include but are not limited to:

  • Child care costs
  • Transportation costs
  • Medical and non-medical substance abuse services, mental health services and other medical services not covered by other insurance or Medi-Cal.
  • School and work clothing allowances
  • Job skill training fees and tuition
  • Vehicle repair
  • Professional license fees
  • Driver’s license fees
  • Grooming/hygiene expenses
  • Relocation expenses
  • Emergency food expenses
  • Utility expenses
  • Automobile insurance expenses
  • Housing and emergency shelter expenses
  • Special tools or equipment
  • Business start-up expenses
Q. Can I work and still get assistance?
A. Depending on the amount of earnings you receive, you may still be eligible to receive TANF cash assistance. Alternatively, if your earnings exceed our allowable limits, you may be eligible to receive Extended Case Management (“ECM”) services which include Supportive Services aimed at employment retention. ECM is limited to a maximum of 24 consecutive months, once per lifetime.
Q. Do my children need to live with me to receive services?

A. At least one of your minor children under age 18, or under 19 if they are still attending a secondary or equivalent school must reside with you in your home. You may only receive cash aid for those minor children living in your home, with the exception of certain situations. If your child reaches age 18 (or 19) it is your responsibility to notify us in the month this occurs. Please contact your nearest TANF office for more information.

Q. If I find a job and no longer qualify for cash assistance, are there any other services I would qualify for?
A. Whether you will remain eligible for cash assistance depends on a number of factors, including the number of family members on your household cash aid grant, whether or not you have reached your 60 month time limit, your gross income and when you receive your wages. Your Case Counselor can go over the factors with you to help you understand whether you might continue to receive some cash assistance and for how long. Even if your regular cash aid case closes, you may be eligible for Extended Case Management, which would allow you to receive certain supportive services for up to 24 months following your case closure.
Q. If I am a relative taking care of a relative child, am I eligible for assistance?
A. Under most circumstances, yes you would be able to receive cash assistance and some supportive services for relative children that are living with you. Depending on your financial situation, you may also qualify as a needy caretaker relative. Please contact your nearest TANF office to receive more information and to apply for services.
Q. If I am disabled and receiving SSI/SDI, am I eligible for assistance?
A. If you or a family household member are receiving SSI/SDI your family may still be eligible for Tribal TANF.
Q. If I am an undocumented?
A. If one spouse is undocumented and not a Lawful Permanent Resident and the other spouse is a Lawful Permanent resident, your family members may still be eligible for assistance.
Q. If I live with another adult, who is not my partner, is their income counted?
A. No, their income is not counted in your grant calculation.
Q. How many days do I have to notify my case counselor of any changes to my family circumstances?

A. You are required to inform OVCDC Tribal TANF Program with 10 days of any changes in family income, family resources, number of persons in the household, changes of address, children’s school attendance or living arrangement which may affect your right to receive assistance.

Q. Will I be eligible to receive benefits if I fail my drug test?
A. Yes, however in order to remain eligible you must participate in a substance abuse assessment and attend possible counseling sessions or enroll in a rehabilitation program. OVCDC will continue assistance to the family through a voucher system, protective payee, or deny reduce/terminate benefits until client compliance.