Kern Indian Education
KIEC is funded by the California Department of Education (Education Code 33380-33383) American Indian Education Center grant and by OVCDC Tribal TANF Prevention Program to provide the community with educational, culture, and wellness services – TANF Purposes: #3 Pregnancy Prevention and #4 Family Formation & Maintenance
PROFESSIONALISM • INTEGRITY • TEAMWORK • LEADERSHIP • RESPECT • COMPASSION • NATIVE CULTURE
Kern Indian Education Center Program Services.
OVCDC Kern Indian Education Center is a service provider and advocate for Native youth, parents, and families. Staff is dedicated to addressing and serving the cultural, educational and prevention related needs of American Indian and Alaska Native families. Our focus is on wellness and academic & cultural enrichment through youth, family and community services, activities, and events.
- Group Tutoring & Homework Assistance
- September to May / M-Th / 2:30 – 5:00pm
- FAFSA Assistance
- College Application and Enrollment Assistance, Scholarship/Financial Aid Assistance
- California High School Exit Exam workshops
Family & Student Advocacy
- Learning Disabilities referrals and school meetings,
- Individual Education Plans (IEP),
- Student Attendance Review Board (SARB)hearing, vary student & family Advocacy issues & needs.
Community Services & Resources
- varying Community Resource Assistance i.e. referrals to Kern County agencies/resources
- Community Library
- Computer Lab
Student & Family Services
- Educational & Cultural Field Trips
- Community Gatherings focusing on Wellness, Culture & Education
- Native Youth Group 2nd-12th grade students only
- Any Native American student/ family within Kern County is eligible to receive KIEC services.
- Program Intake & Enrollment forms completed in office only.
- OVCDC Prevention Application completion required.
Our office is located at:
1001 Tower Way Suite 230
Bakersfield CA 93309